Vegan brownie with coconut whipped cream & candied walnuts
January has a new trend – Veganuary! A movement that supports people who would like to try veganism, Veganuary inspires us to try vegan dishes by making recipes and information more accessible. Our Head Chef Trevor has joined the movement and is offering up his delicious vegan brownie treat for you to enjoy at home – so what are you waiting for? Let’s cook up a storm!
Vegan Brownie Ingredients
- 5 tablespoons sunflower oil , plus extra for greasing
- 200 g dairy-free dark chocolate
- 170 g self-raising flour
- 3 heaped teaspoons cocoa powder
- 180 g golden caster sugar
- sea salt
- 1 vanilla pod
- 230 ml unsweetened organic soya milk
Vegan Brownie Method
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC/350ºF/gas 4. Grease a square baking tin (roughly 20cm) with a little oil, then line with greaseproof paper.
- Place a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water, making sure the base doesn’t touch the water. Break 150g of chocolate into the bowl and allow it to melt, then set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, sieve the flour and cocoa powder into a large bowl, then stir in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Halve the vanilla pod lengthways, scrape out the seeds, then add them to the bowl. Stir in the oil, soya milk and melted chocolate until combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin, spreading it out evenly., then place into the hot oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until cooked on the outside, but still gooey in the middle.
- Leave to cool for around 5 minutes, turn out onto a wire cooling rack,
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM INGREDIENTS
- 1 tbsp honey, maple syrup or powdered sugar, add more as desired
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1X can of full-fat coconut milk, chilled for 4 hours
COCONUT WHIPPED CREAM Method
- Place your can of coconut milk in the refrigerator for 4 hours
- Chill your mixing bowl for 15 minutes in the fridge.
- Open your can of coconut milk and scoop out the hardened coconut cream. Pour the coconut water into a separate storage container and use that in a future smoothie recipe.
- Using a hand mixer, fluff up the coconut cream for one minute. Add your sweetener and vanilla and mix for an additional minute, until smooth and creamy
CANDIED WALNUTS INGREDIENTS
- vegetable oil, for the baking sheet (optional)
- 150g caster sugar
- 200g walnut halves
CANDIED WALNUTS Method:
- Lightly oil a baking sheet, or line with baking parchment.
- Tip the sugar into a heavy-based frying pan set over a medium-low heat, and cook until dissolved and lightly golden. Don’t stir – tilt the pan for an even colour.
- Add the walnuts, 1 tsp sea salt flakes and stir briefly.
- Carefully pour the mixture onto the prepared sheet. Use two lightly oiled teaspoons to separate the nuts if you prefer them packaged individually, but don’t touch them as they’ll be very hot.
- For a more rustic look, leave to cool, then roughly bash into chunks using a rolling pin. Pack into small containers or bags. Will keep for up to three weeks in a dry, cool place.
- Cut a square of brownie
- Add a dollop of coconut cream
- Sprinkle broken candied walnuts & some fresh berries