Fitzgerald's Park & Cork Public Museum
The Mardyke, Cork Tel: +353 (0)21 427 0679 (Museum)
Cork Public Museum is housed in a two storey Georgian house commanding a central position in Fitzgerald’s Park, Cork. Originally built in 1845 by the Beamish family, the building, then known as “The Shrubberies” was their family home for decades. The property and surrounding land was eventually purchased by Cork Corporation for the purpose of housing the Cork International Exhibition of 1902 and 1903. The site of the exhibition was opened as Public Park in 1906. A site of some 18 acres of landscaped gardens; the park is a magnificent setting for the museum. Flanked by U.C.C. on one side and the riverside gardens of Sunday’s Well on the other, the park bestows a sense of history that complements the ambience of the museum perfectly. The Riverview Café, recently opened in the museum’s extension, fully exploits the commanding views of the river Lee and provides the visitor with a tranquil haven to enjoy a coffee and a snack. The Park also has a lovely playground for children to have some fun.